Sunday 30 May 2021

May WIPocalypse

 It's hard to believe May is over, the month has been a chaotic one for me thanks to work.  One of the graveyard shift cut her hand not serirously, but then decided to take the whole month off, or possibly forever she hasn't really specified, but when the graveyard is short I am the one who replaces people. so my schedule this month has been 6am on Saturday, 5 am on Sunday, midnight on Monday and Tuesday and 6 or 7 on Wednesday. Needless to say I've been tired and confused. 

The question of the month is What was the first project you ever stitched? (whether you finished or not)

My first project was a Learn to Stitch kit I found at Micheals, I desperately wanted to do this huge dragon pattern from Dimensions and knew I better learn how first.  


This did eventually lead to me doing the dragon.


I'm still going strong on my two projects, Winter snowfall looks like it will be done before fall though there is half a ton of beads to add to it when the stitching is done


And I have officially finished a page on Lion King (1 of 4) and when I reach the bottom this time I will officially be half done



As for what I watched

Critical Role  - Including the final boss fight of this campaign, on more episode to go and then Campaign 3 to look forward to



Arrow Season 1 - As good as I remembered

Shannara Season 1 - I started reading the Shannara series when I was 10 so it
lives pretty strong in my heart, the show does not do the books justice. That being said, it’s not a bad fantasy series at all.

Spartacus - Vengeance (Season 2) 

Into the Storm - Pretty much the same storyline as Twister but with documentarians instead of scientists. Pretty corny at time but a solid disaster movie so it makes me happy.

It - The 90’s TV Miniseries, I have a special bond with the book but have not read it in decades, but this is a good adaptation though not as detailed or gory as the new movies. 

Pippin - This is a dark musical stage comedy that was filmed in 1981. They did a lot of stage films from Canada around that time, but not many of them came to video and are lost somewhere in time.  Weirdly I found this one for sale in Los Vegas on VHS in 1998. 

Pavarotti and Friends 2 - I think Pavarotti did several of these concerts in the 90’s, this is by far my favorite mainly because of the pure joy on Bryan Adams’ face when singing with Pavarotti.


The Peacemaker - A really solid action movie from 1997 starring George Clooney and Nicole Kidman, and they are both written as intelligent people who actually listen to each other  while there is a obligatory romance it’s barely there and instead all the focus is on the action and twisty storyline that starts with nuclear weapons been stolen from a train in Russia, in fact Clooney and Kidman don’t even show up until 15 and 20 minutes into the movie.

Police Academy 6: City Under Siege - It’s just a bit of fluff really, not much to this movie but fun to watch when you want to concentrate on other things.

Pleasantville - A couple teens from the late 90’s find themselves in a 50’s sitcom, and change everything, this is a cute social commentary, not particularity hard-hitting but with wonderful cinematography and effects

Phoenix 2772 - Anime from 1980 I think I got this as a gift 30 years ago and have only watched it once before and couldn’t remember a thing about it, with good reason, it’s all style and no substance. 

The Parent Trap - It’s cute and really well done once you get over the cruel notion of separating twins at birth. Also interesting to see and remember that Lindsey Lohan was a really really good child actor.

The Pirates of Penzance - There are two nearly identical versions of this, both starring Kevin Kline, Rex Harris and Linda Ronstadt. one is from the stage and the other a movie based on the stage play with the same cast, I prefer the movie version but that may be because I saw it first. 

Prelude to a Kiss - Technically this is a rom-com, but it’s subtler than most, an old man kissed the bride on her wedding day and they accidentally switch bodies,  what I’ve always liked about this one is how quickly the groom figures it out. 

Pocahontas - Not one of my favourites, but still a good movie and it’s visually gorgeous 

Pride and Prejudice - The Keira Knightly version, I grew up on P&P as it is my mother’s favorite book and this is a solid screenplay for something that got condensed so much, if you want more dedication to storyline (and the dreamiest Mr. Darcy) watch the Colin Firth one, as I will be soon. But I really enjoy Keira as Elizabeth 


2 comments:

  1. Lots of stitching and lots of movies! There's a video of Bryan Adams singing with Pavarotti? I think I need to find that one!

    ReplyDelete