Friday 30 September 2022

Fall is the best

 I love Autumn the colours are pretty, and the weather is cool and sunny, Definitely my favorite season.  It's been a good year so far, I've been to four shows, two holidays, one weekend holiday to come and it looks like I will finally get to go on my big Cruise in February, nearly three years since I originally booked it.

So the WIPocalypse question of the month is Are you a seasonal stitcher? If so, which seasons do you find yourself more productive or less productive?

I'm not, I stitch fairly equally all year, the only real change is when I switch to Christmas ornaments in mid November. But it's still the same amount of stitching, just the size of the project changes.

I have stuck to only stitching on the Lion King until I finish it (though the aforementioned Christmas season will upset that) and it does show a lot of progress


As for what I watched 

Critical Role

The Sandman - I read these comics when they were first published in the 80’s and 90’s and I remember being enthralled by them,  so I approached this with a little trepidation, but it was not needed. The show is brilliantly done

Game of Thrones Season 3: The one with the Red Wedding.

North And South: This miniseries was all anyone at school was talking about when it came out in 1985, and I had very fond memories of it. It’s about two families who are great friends  and the build up to the American Civil War.  I was already fascinated with the subject thanks to the miniseries from 1981 The Blue and The Grey, that had a very very similar storyline, But I had forgotten how long this one is and it has now been moved to the series wall and will be treated as such for the two sequels.

Noble House - Another mini-series also from the 80’s starring Pierce Brosnon. This is a wonderful story of Hong Kong and corporate espionage 

Now You See Me 1 and 2 - The first is a brilliant mix of fun and surprises with a ton of twists and turns, the second is good but doesn’t have quite the same magic, but a decent show nonetheless 

The Lord of the Rings (1978) - This is only the first half of the story, going up to Helm’s Deep, and as such is a rather rushed story when you are used to the Peter Jackson one.  But it is fairly faithful to the book. On the other hand it is one of the weirdest animations I’ve seen, in particular the ring wraiths are live action and then drawn on top of in some way, I remember finding them very creepy as a kid when I first saw this.

Lord Of The Dance - Despite Michael Flatley’s immense ego being on display this is amazing I love the music and dance. I’ve seen this one live a couple times and prefer it that as the dancer playing the lead (Flatley’s role) is usually more of a team player. Also live is always better

Lensman - This is an anime from 1984 and is a direct ripoff from Star Wars but a well done one. My brother gave this to me for my birthday  when I was 13 or 14 along with another anime movie knowing nothing about them, just that I like anime and it was very hard to find at the time.  

Lovely to Look At - I grew up on Howard Keel musicals as my mother was a huge fan, though I only found this one a few years ago. Standard musical storyline: Three performers inherit half of a failing fashion house and decide to put on a show to save it.

See How They Run - A friend invited me to the theatre to see this one, I had not heard of it at all, but I’m glad she did cause it was fun. A murder mystery set around The Mousetrap play in the 50’s, some great acting and quite a bit of comedy make this one I’m likely to buy in the future



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've been having a great summer, fingers crossed for that cruise to finally happen!
    You're making such great progress on the Lion King. This one will be a big finish to celebrate for sure.
    I'm still a little scared to start watching the Sandman, because I just discovered the comics and love them, but will get around to it eventually!

    ReplyDelete