Sunday 1 September 2019

Summer's End

Summer is never the best time for stitching for me, though this one I got more done than usual.  I missed the last WIPocalypse entirely and am a week late for this one so I'll start with the questions
July -  How do you get yourself out of a stitching drought?
I usually just let a drought run it's course, I stitch when I watch things obviously so sooner or later I will want to watch something and the stitching will come back, so really a stitching drought is more of a  I want to do something other than watch movies or TV mood, and that mood has never lasted to long with me.
August - What do you have on your stitching bucket list?  (for example, specific projects, designers, fibers, etc)
With the exception of the BIG projects, I tend not to plan very much and buy things on a whim. I don't actually have a stitching bucket list other than wanting to meed my stitching friends in person.  maybe someday.

So stitching I've got done in the last two months is just the Angel, I've almost finished another page so I'm 3/4 of the way through her, minus backstitching of course, I always leave that for the end as I enjoy it so much.

Speaking of bucket lists I did manage to go on a mini trip this summer and cross something of the lifes list,  I went to Vancouver and FINALLY got to see the Celebration of Lights fireworks show,  and it was everything I hoped for.  In fact the whole thing was a wonderful trip.  I splurged and stayed on Granville Island, which is one of my favorite places and a quick walk to Vanier Park where I went to see All's Well the End's Well at Bard on the Beach which has a special on fireworks night of the play a salmon BBQ dinner and a guaranteed place to watch the fireworks from.  While in Vancouver I also got to visit with my best friend and go to the Aquarium, another thing I've always wanted to do 
So have so pics from my trip as well




As for what I watched
Critical Role: and Talks Machina  

Shadowhunters- The final season, they did really well with this series, didn’t follow the books very closely, just really hit the main plots, but they built the world really well and kept the same feel as the books

American Gods - Watching season one as a refresher before I get to two

The Handmaid’s Tale - I had to read an Atwood book when I was in college, chose this one because it was the only one I could make it all the way through without wanting to kill the protagonist for whining, just.  I heard great things about this series so bought season one when I found it on an extreme sale, got about half way through and will try to finish it at some point, but I won’t be wasting my money on more seasons, As always with this story, the concept is wonderful, the people are just annoying. 

Yesterday - What one man does when he wake up from a crash in a world that’s never heard of the Beatles. This was charming understated and fun, and didn’t rely on the obvious clichés, Nice counter programming for all the bombastic summer blockbusters

The Lion King - The new one, again not sure why it was necessary as the original is perfect, but still an enjoyable way to spend the evening




Sharp’s Rifles - The first movie is a series by Sean Bean, I’ve never seen the rest but someday I want to. It is the story of an officer in the British Army promoted through the ranks during the Napoleonic War. 

Shrek 2: I always think I should like these movies better than I do, think I’ll give this one to Mom, it does have it’s fun moments, but not enough to take up space on my shelves.


The Secret of Nihm - To say this is different from the book would be a massive understatement, however I saw the movie before I read the book so it’s okay I’ve always been able to separate the two and love them both,  I have a harder time doing that if I’ve read the book first. 

She’s the Man - A really cute retelling of Twelfth Night based around soccer in high school 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, great progress on the Angel! At this rate, you'll finish her well before the year is out. And what an awesome trip you had as well! I feel like I never know what you girls are up to anymore, we've all been awfully quiet.

    So, how exactly is the Shadowhunter show connected to the books? Is it like one book per season? I only read three of the books, but I kind of want to start the show as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadowhunters keeps the concept and world of the books and the same characters, but the stories are only really loosely based on the books, they are pretty much completely separate things.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful progress on your angel and lovely pics from your travels. That’s great you visited a life list location. Fireworks are awesome. I’ll definitely check out the mortal instruments show.

    ReplyDelete